Thursday, June 19, 2014

Birthday Camping

This past weekend, Miki flipped another year on his biological calendar. We went camping out at Gifford Pinchot State Park to celebrate.  We'd been out there once before, and it was lovely - campsites that have lake access, two disc golf courses, hiking trails, and more. This time, we had the added bonus of absolutely gorgeous weather. We parked the car at the site and spent the rest of the weekend hiking, resting, or kayaking. It was just what we both needed.


Miki's weekend set-up.

Late afternoon paddle. 

Sunset on the first night. 

Sunrise on day 2. Miki never sleeps late while camping, and I never sleep well the first night away from home. We watched the mist roll off the lake to the left and then get caught up in the breeze, forming the cloud at the other end. It was spectacular.

We took a hike. 

Or, as Miki called it, we took a jike - that's a hike, in jorts. Here he's sporting the goose feather he found in a meadow. 

As usual, we ended up on the wrong trail (or, more precisely, a non-trail), so we had to double back some. Maybe if we hadn't taken the non-trail, I'd've not felt as strongly about hiking through ankle-deep muckity muck. At any rate, this orange turtle didn't care.

As we crossed a small stream, Miki stopped and pointed into the water. There was an empty turtle shell in the streambed. Laying down on the rustic bridge, he snagged it and popped back up to his feet. He carried that the rest of the way. 


Both times we've visited Gifford Pinchot, I have been struck by the beauty of the place. On Sunday afternoon, after nearly everyone else had left, I snuck over to the adjoining campsite and spotted this paddleboarder, and if you look dead center by the treeline, Miki fishing in his kayak.



Both nights we were treated to gorgeous sunsets. The second night, we had the bonus of a calm lake.


I love this photo. I've made it my lock screen, printed a color print and framed it on my desk at work. At the same time, Miki made it his work desktop. It's clearly a picture that makes us both happy.


Our last morning, after running 8 miles, Miki propped the skillet on a log and proceeded to finish off the sausage, egg, and veggie hash I'd fixed up. I call this hobo-style.

It was such a great trip, and we spent some time scoping out sites for our next visit. If I could go tomorrow, I definitely would. There's something to be said for turning off mobile devices and just taking in the world around you.


2 comments:

Delaware Valley Historic Sampler Guild said...

It looks beautiful. Spectacular photos.

Delaware Valley Historic Sampler Guild said...

It looks beautiful. Spectacular photos. Ops, not owned in a me I see.