Sunday, March 17, 2013

Some pumpkins

Last weekend, my mom came up early and the two of us spent the bulk of the day sorting and organizing my formerly catch-all craft-hole of a room. We moved some furniture, emptied bins and cubbies, threw out and donated used up and unwanted supplies, and generally had a good time. I haven't always enjoyed The Grand Sort Outs, but I totally believe in them.

The room, even one week later, still looks tidy:


We did NOT go through the fiber closet or the yarn stash, and the stuff hanging on the door really should be sorted. But, overall, it was really great to go through mostly everything. We found a number of nearly finished projects, some FOs that were languishing in the frog pond, and a few things that I'd forgotten about, like drawings of a trip Mike and I took to New England a few years ago.


This was our second trip to Mt. Washington, and Mike's first winter climb. Living in the mid-Atlantic region, I'm always amused by the moose caution signs. I know that hitting a moose would be a pretty bad scene, mostly for the car, because moose are gigantic. And I do believe in moose - I've just not seen one. This is what I imagined seeing one would look like.


Portrait of Mike, wearing the handspun, handknit hat I knit to commemorate his Kilimanjaro climb. What you can't really tell from my majestic sketch is the hat changes colors to represent the multiple climate zones experienced as one treks up to Kili's summit. I know, right? Anyway, I assure you he has a nose in this drawing. Also, he's a better (self) portrait artist than I am:


Anyway, Mike climbed a mountain known for its spectacular weather, in the winter, and then stayed overnight in the observatory at the summit. I traveled to Maine for a little R&R with my favoritest Boogie that ever, er, boogied. I got a weaving lesson, watched a recap of The Human Centipede (don't click that if you are at all sensitive to things like the C-word or people eating poop against their own will), and slept with another Mickey (a real dog). Then, the next day, I picked him up at Pinkham Notch, and we headed south to the Boston area for more fun, visiting my sister and then our friends D & NJStacie.


Now, most of you will see this map and know that America's Top Hat is up there. You'll probably also read the text as CanadaLand, or even CanadiaLand, as it's written. My mom read it as ChlamydiaLand, which really doesn't help Canada's self image, eh? We had quite the laugh about that, and then she said, "It's a really good map, though!" And somehow, that makes it all even funnier.

So, here we were, chilling somewhere outside of Boston, watching hours of MXC, and hanging out with other craftie types. Mike missed out on most of this fun - he was sleeping off his mountain high. But, he woke up and joined us in time for Jack Chop, also not entirely safe for work, but with 100% less poop eating and c-word use.



I always have such good intentions to take photos on our trips, but invariably I don't - having too much fun, not wanting to ruin the moment, forgetting I have a camera (on my phone, no less). When we got home from our trip north, I realized there was not a single picture of the trip. Not wanting to forget it all, I had this grand scheme of drawing highlights of the trip. I went at it, and after 4 masterful pieces, got distracted or bored or otherwise engaged. The thing is, though, I haven't forgotten that trip, even with no pictures and 4 pencil sketches. It was a great time.


3 comments:

Natalie said...

Don't forget we had brunch while you were in Boston. I parked my bicycle on a giant snow pile.

NJStacie said...

Ha! That was such a lovely time, and a a sign of things to come! I <3 you guys so much, and I love these pictorial journals of your trip :)

Robin said...

You are such a goober!