Wednesday, January 02, 2013

You say you want some resolutions?

While I do like to treat each day, week, and month as the beginning of the rest of my life, there's something unavoidable and traditional about making a list of things to do for the coming year. Last year, I resolved to be as crafty as I wanna be, and I kinda fulfilled that. However, I'm not the best at keeping notes on projects. So, first resolution:

1. Keep better notes on craft projects. This is useful if I want to repeat the same project, or (more likely) stop mid-project and need to know just what I was thinking before getting interrupted. 
Also, this makes it easier to then blog about the stuff I've made

For many of the things I made in 2012, I didn't take decent photos of the progress or the finished object. Resolution the second:

2. Take more photos of WIPs and FOs. This includes ALL the things I make - 
spinning, knitting, weaving, quilting, sewing, stitching, and so on.

2012 found me exploring making garments beyond elastic-waist pajama pants. I'd like to continue exploring garment making. #3, then:

3. Keep challenging myself to try new techniques in my crafts. 
Sew more zippers, work on achieving more precise quilt piecing, maybe learn to crochet for real, for real.

I made some great changes and personal improvements in 2012, but there's always more work to be done.

4. Work on my posture. I really need to display my full 5'1.5" self!

5. Be kinder to my body. Better posture would help, but also 
just becoming more aware and in touch with what my body is telling me. 

One of my biggest errors of 2012 was probably not taking care of my vehicles. The latest car issue isn't included, but there are other things that I've really let slide.

6. Get the oil changed on the motorbike more ... regularly. 
If I expect to ride the bike as often as possible (everyday except hurricanes, blizzards, 
and other inclement events), I need to take the time to care for it. 
Let 2013 be the year of no roadside assistance freak-outs, 
and no freezing road-side stranding. 

7. The Ghia had a decent year - fully inspected, registered, and insured. 
Now troubleshoot and fix those squealing brakes and get the throttle cable replaced. 
Maybe, just maybe, think about paint.

And finally, the typical resolutions: eat more healthfully, exercise more regularly, and so on and so forth.

8. Lean into vegetarian/vegan options more. 
After giving up (house) meat for Lent last year, 
I kinda went meat-tastic from June on. 
Break myself of the meat, potatoes, vegetable meal idea.

9. Stop making excuses for skipping the gym (sick, tired, raining, spinning), 
and try to go twice a week 
(Ideally, Monday and Wednesday mornings 
before work, since my schedule allows it).

10. Practice kindness and explore what it means to be kind. 
Sounds hippie-dippy, but I think it's something that I need to be more mindful of, 
something that if pursued could mean so much more for me in all kinds of ways.

So, there they are. 10 ways to be a better me in 2013, from being a better crafter to a better bike owner to just better. Did you make any resolutions this year?


1 comment:

Robin said...

You are just too wonderful!