Friday, March 02, 2012

Needlework

At acupuncture this week, I had the visualization of two Photoshop-filtered* Koi  swimming in a clockwise circle. I didn't think too much of it. I've had other visualizations before, but I never know whether to trust what I'm seeing with my eyes closed, do you know what I mean? Like, on a bright day, if you close your eyes, you of course can see bright spots and after-images. Am I just seeing after-images during treatment? Or is it something that the treatment is bringing about?

After the treatment, as I was situating myself and getting ready to leave, my practitioner started to explain what she had done for this session. She'd worked on some of my water points in an effort to elevate that energy within me (apparently I'm fire-heavy). She wanted to move the energy from one point through to another in a circular and unending motion. I looked at her and let out a small laugh, and then told her what I had visualized. She was not surprised but still impressed.

Prior to this week's session, if you had asked me how I felt about acupuncture, I would've responded that it's interesting, different, and requires a certain willingness. This session, however, seems to have opened an inner-eye for me. All week, I've felt more balanced and appropriately energized (and I am using that in a different sense than qi) - that is, I'm ready to wake up in the morning, I'm appropriately tired in the evening, and my days, busy as they may be, aren't draining me. I keep thinking about the visualization, and I also keep imagining things  as circular rather than linear. For instance, rather than view my daily schedule as a point A to point B (wake up then shower then eat then work then home then dinner then sleep), I'm thinking about my day in terms of returning to a certain starting point - I begin rested, I flow into the next part, I perform whatever tasks I need, I ebb out of that, I return rested. It's a subtle yet interesting shift in thinking for me.

********************

In other news, the no-meat-at-home challenge is working out kinda well. I knew when I made the decision last week that I was facing a weekend away, meaning the chances of encountering bacon were high. And, I'm not going to lie, I ate bacon somewhere in CT and then again in ME. But, for the most part, I found myself opting for non-meat things even when not home. I don't know if it's because I'm not forbidding myself these morsels or what. Keeping veggie at home hasn't been too bad, either. We've had tofu stir-fry and veggie pot pie (with GF Bisquick biscuits on top). Last night, I made two kinds of pasta and served it with nice salad. Our neighbors that we eat with about once every week or so are also keeping more vegetarian than not and they had us over for a phenomenal butternut squash curry and we brought over mixed greens dressed with a curried salad dressing. That was a good meal.

*The one that looks like paint's been applied with a palette knife. So, the palette knife filter? My PS skills are not nearly what they once were.

No comments: