Monday, January 24, 2011

And then there were 4.

I don't know how these things happen.  I mean, I do - invariably, someone gets in touch with me and says something like "practically free, hardly used spinning wheel - know anyone that might be interested?"  This is how I came to be in possession of something like 36 POUNDS of possibly-suri alpaca.  It's also how I ended up with half of my craft books.  And, it's how, at one time, I ended up with something like 5 sofas and/or loveseats in my house.  I just can't say no.


Late Friday night, my old friend Danielle messaged me via Facebook.  She wanted to know if I knew of anyone looking to buy a spinning wheel - she was selling hers.  After a volley of messages, we agreed to meet up Sunday around noon at our local yarn shop.

Then, I broke the news to Mike as gently as possible: "OMG, I'M PROBABLY BUYING A NEW WHEEL ON SUNDAY AND PLEASE TELL ME IT'S OK BECAUSE I KINDA WANT TO BUY IT BECAUSE IF I BUY IT I WILL LOVE IT. And, I'll do some laundry...."*

Needless to say, he wasn't pleased, but resigned himself, a la Richard Bucket, and replied, "Yes, dear. Whatever you want dear."   Actually, I think he first got more to eat and then opened a second bottle of wine, and then told me to do whatever I want.  In as nice a way as possible.  With absolutely no swearing.  OK, there was swearing. But he did not say no.

Sunday, I drove out the the yarn shop to give this wheel a spin.  I was actively trying to convince myself that I didn't need to buy it.  That it wouldn't be all that nice.  That the price, while right, still cut into my budget for learning how to weave.  But, the blank check in my back pocket said something different.  It said, "BUY!!!!"

I got to the shop just as Danielle did.  We caught up on what's been going down and then got right to business.  I'm fortunate to know a few people that already own the very wheel that was being offered for sale, so I knew my way around it.  Within seconds, I was happily treadling away and making yarn.  Ah, blissful creation of fluff into stuff, you are my happy place.  I put the wheel through its paces, trying all of the ratios, making the necessary adjustments, and I spun long-draw and short-draw and worsted and woolen and then I filled in the blanks on the check and bought me a wheel.


Share photos on twitter with Twitpic


It's a Lendrum DT folding!  It came with the basics: 4 bobbins, lazy kate, and regular flyer (6:1, 8:1, 10:1 - and let me tell you, the 10:1 is slick! I usually spin at 17:1 and above simply because I like to make fine plies, but I was very impressed with the regular flyer and its ratios).  I do plan to eventually get the Very Fast Flyer (26:1, 30:1, 36:1, and 44:1) as well as the quill head (6:1, 25:1, and 37:1).  I'd also like to get a bag for the wheel - that would really cut down on the awkwardness of transporting the folded wheel.

Yesterday, I spun up the other 3.5/8 oz of fiber my sister gave me to spin for her (worsted-weight long-draw single) and then easily moved on to starting my next lace project for Sam (he gave me a bag of fiber he bought in a destash with the explicit instructions to make him some yarn, bitch).  Later this week, Mike and I are taking a trip up to NH, ME, and MA (he's climbing Mt. Washington and camping overnight at the summit, I'm visiting the wh-ealer in ME, and then we've got a friend-festival in and around Boston), and I'm excited to hit the road with this new wheel. 

* Those of you that don't know Mike, I will say this: he is the best.  He does the laundry! He washes the dishes! He lets me sleep in on snowy mornings while he shovels! He knows just how much cream I like in my coffee, IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN.

1 comment:

Bridget said...

Anyone compared to Richard Bucket can't be bad ... :-)