Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Ten Favorite Places for Online Shopping

When I got the email for this week's Ten on Tuesday, I misread it as 10 Favorite Small Shops Online - a subtle difference. Anyway, I was initially very excited at the thought of paging through different ToT posts today, learning about everyone's favorite indie shop. Then, I reread the prompt, realized my mistake and decided I was gonna do my interpretation anyway - I'm pretty sure we can all already count as among our favorite online shopping spots Amazon.com (which, truth be told, is probably the site I window-shop the most).



1. Threadless

I love their $10 tee sales, but more than that, I love browsing through the clever tees.  And then, I love buying them for Mike so I can see the tees in action.  Like this one. Communist Party. 

2. BoyGirlParty
I found BoyGirlParty the way I find most things on the Internets. I did a search for squirrels.  In this case, I was searching only Etsy, but no matter - squirrels abound on Etsy (just like everywhere else).  I have this very notepad and I ration out its sheets like sheets of titanium, encrusted with diamonds, and woven with threads of gold.  

3.  bomobob
I've not actually purchased anything from this shop, but in looking for a replacement for another Etsy shop that seems to be on hiatus (new baby, understandable), I came across this shop.  I am a sucker for vignette-y photos of fluffy weeds and seeds.  I have no doubt I will make multiple purchases from this shop - right after I favorite every item for sale.

4. RebekahMakes

FO Natalya Mission Falls superwash merino
I like old cameras, and I cannot lie.  They don't have to work, they just have to be old.  I don't usually buy my cameras online.  I prefer to discover them in the nooks and crannies of antique and consignment shops.  But I am particularly lusting after the Antique Devry Box Camera on this site.

5. ThinkGeek

066a_Wiring

ThinkGeek is the place I jump to when I'm shopping for nerds.  Whether they're Trekkies, engineers, gear heads, or just plain old DIYers, I can find something for everynerd at ThinkGeek.  

6. FledglingFactotum, and 7. laceramiste

Unique, beautiful gifts for the fiber artist and quilter in your life.  I have a quilt pendant necklace and love it (I found mine at a craft show and cannot find the artist online).  These two shops each have interesting items, many of which I'd buy and/or gift!

8. studiokmo 
 
I have a thing for maps.  I have a couple on display in my house, but nothing quite as lovely (and insanely awesome) as what you can find in this shop.  I bought the above prints a couple of months ago - simple line drawings of my adopted hometown.  But, what really inspires me are the crazytalk mapcuts.  Even if you can't afford one (they're mostly $500 and up, except for the wee 10x10 personalized mapcut - that's an affordable $90), you should click on over and marvel at the skill and patience.*

9. dlkdesigns

 I stumbled on this shop by accident and luck and I am so glad I did.  I can't reveal what I've purchased from this shop, but I will tell you it involves two points on a vintage map.  I think I'll be revisiting this shop a LOT.  Maps on Scrabble tiles? Yes, please.



10. Three Potato Four



I saved this one for last because it's a two-fer - not only do they have a fairly fabulous online shop, but 3P4 happens to be right around the corner (and down the road, and over the bridge, and on the side of a hill) from me. I just ordered some fun stuff from them yesterday and opted for the in-store pick-up, so I can't wait to do that Saturday morning!


*My friend Stacy did one of these mapcuts for fun and leisure (not for sale!).  She's awesome.  When I grow up, I want to be as crafty and lucky and lovely as her. :-)

2 comments:

Sara said...

Thank you for this! I have a hard-to-shop for beau. He's into shunning materialistic things and leading a rich inner life. WTF, what am I supposed to buy him? More Booze?

Miss Amy said...

Who is the kitty with mikey???