Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Ten on Tuesday

10 things I like about where I live:

1. I'm in a great quasi-suburban neighborhood in Philadelphia, a mere 17 minutes by slow train to Center City and a quick 12 minute stroll to trail heads that drop you into the Wissahickon Creek area of Fairmount Park.

2. Aside from living in Philadelphia, I'm pretty close to other major cities and can always justify a quick day trip to NYC, DC, or Baltimore.

3. I'm close to home - my husband and I grew up in rural Salem County, NJ, a mere 45 minutes away by highway (closer to 2 hours if we take back roads because we tend to get lost).

4. I've found my place in a great group of friends. Whether it's knitting, library-talk, or just whatever, my friends are the best. I would not have met them all if I didn't live in Philadelphia.

5. We've got history - William Penn, Lenni Lenape, Swedes, and more. It's fun to play tourist in your own city!

6. We're a scrappy town, a city full of 'tude. There's nothing quite like a Philly fan, and don't youse guys forget it. Any given sport, any given season, you're going to hear someone complain about the shittiest team, the best team, the worst play, the miraculous play, and so on. Chances are they're talking about the events of a single game. We can smack talk the crap out of our players and teams but still profess undying love for them at the end of the season. We're allowed to do that, but don't you visiting teams try it.

7. FOOD. Restaurants, cheesesteaks, water ice (say it with me - wooder ice), the Italian Market and Reading Terminal Market, trucks at Penn, the hot dog man outside of the museums, and the "don't tell mom I let you eat a pretzel from the guy outside of the stadiums".

8. I like that I live in a place that has all four seasons, though to be honest, I'd trade some summer for more winter. Still, the surrounding counties are full of parks and vistas and trails and all kinds of fun stuff to do out-of-doors. And the drive to get to, say, French Creek or the Jim Thorpe is especially nice if we take the twisty back roads and our motorcycles.

9. Speaking of out-of-doors, I love that we're pretty close to both the Appalachian Mountains and the Atlantic Ocean. Any given long weekend, we could go either direction and bask in the glory of nature.

10. I really love my house. We've been here for 10 years now and have done a lot to improve our living space. Most of the work we did ourselves. One Thanksgiving, I tiled the kitchen floor, another late August, we built a deck in a week. We've rewired, retrimmed, repainted, receilinged, and repurposed. I love that we have a secluded walled garden and a garage. I love that we're an end-of-row and have lots of windows and trees. It's still very much a work-in-progress (as I type, there's a guy doing demolition to our front porch ceiling), but it's our work-in-progress.

1 comment:

diana said...

I love that list! And so true! (the comment about the pretzels outside the stadium made me laugh out loud...in recognition!)