I followed no real pattern and actually spent a lot of time playing around with the different sequences before settling on a square and strip sort of thing.
I pushed the limits of my little Singer when quilting this one - I did wide, long zig zag stitch on the diagonal and then went back and did the same stitch horizontally. It turned out great - I just wish I had used construction site yellow instead of all purpose white thread.
The fabrics for this quilt were of different weights and I neglected to pre-shrink them. So, when I did wash the quilted top, I had some fraying. I used a short and wide zig zag stitch to pull those sections together and am not unhappy with how that turned out!
Using the technique that Kate showed me for the continuous binding, I finished off the quilt with different length scraps. Everything was ready just in time for a birthday ... nap!