Saturday, April 17, 2010

A quilt for Alex

Before finishing the quilt for Iris, I knew that I wanted to make one for her older brother, Alex. In a moment of frustration (my machine needed service!), I visited Etsy and went crazy on fabric for an Alex-appropriate quilt: trains, planes, and diggers!

IMG_0913


I followed no real pattern and actually spent a lot of time playing around with the different sequences before settling on a square and strip sort of thing.

IMG_0911


I pushed the limits of my little Singer when quilting this one - I did wide, long zig zag stitch on the diagonal and then went back and did the same stitch horizontally. It turned out great - I just wish I had used construction site yellow instead of all purpose white thread.

IMG_0922


The fabrics for this quilt were of different weights and I neglected to pre-shrink them. So, when I did wash the quilted top, I had some fraying. I used a short and wide zig zag stitch to pull those sections together and am not unhappy with how that turned out!

IMG_0913


Using the technique that Kate showed me for the continuous binding, I finished off the quilt with different length scraps. Everything was ready just in time for a birthday ... nap!

IMG_0934

1 comment:

Robin said...

Awwwww! They are so cute! The quilts.....I mean the kids.....I mean the quilts! Like I said. just another one of your talents that has emerged. I guess something sunk in when I made you sit on my lap when I sewed when you were young (and showed no interest!)

love!