Friday, April 16, 2010

Little girl quilt

Sometime in December, just as the holiday rush was starting to settle in for a final push, I got it into my head that I needed to make a quilt for my favorite little stink-eyed girl (I say that with love). I already had the perfect fabric, too - Heather Ross's Far, Far Away cotton gauze, Unicorns in every color!
quilt folded

Using four of the five colors, I cut the fabric into 6" squares and then arranged and sewed four squares into a large square. Then, I used the remaining color (the orange, in this case - I felt that each of the other prints had something orange and this would make it easy to tie it all together) as sashing.
quilt for Iris

I backed it with a teal corduroy I'd picked up at a crafty yard sale and then did a simple straight-line quilting.
patchwork on quilt back

The corduroy had a couple of worn spots - it was clean and totally usable, it just might have sat folded for too long - and you can see in the photo above that I had to do some minor patchwork. This is probably my favorite part of the quilt!
quilt backing

My friend Kate helped me to understand the intricacies of the continuous binding and before I knew it, I was done my first quilt. After a quick run through the delicate cycle, I ran down to give the quilt to its recipient. I think she liked it.
quilt in use
.

6 comments:

Lampesalot said...

awww...i love it! i should have photoshopped the drool off her crib sheet but maybe that just adds to the effect of the photo :-) can't wait to see pictures of your latest creation too!

Robin said...

Yet another of your talents. Too bad we are not going to the New England Quilt Show! Maybe next year.

diana said...

Wait, what? That was your FIRST quilt? It's gorgeous! You rock!

Megan said...

That's great! Want to make me one? With unicorns? :)

Janis said...

Unicorns!!

Sara said...

Adorable! Everytime I see fabric with little creatures on it, I get the urge to take out the wallet and figure out what to do with it later. Fighting the urge to find unicorns now...