Wednesday, October 28, 2009

My Handsome Boy

After much debate, we decided to put Chico down. A number of factors were considered and in the end, Mike and I agreed that life would just be better for everyone involved if we let Chico pass comfortably.

Attack cat


Most of you that have met him are probably not-so-secretly relieved that you'll be able to visit our house without worrying about being trapped in the bathroom by Meanest Cat In World. You can cheer and revel amongst yourselves, I'm just a little verklemmt.

opinionated knitter


And for as mean as he was, Chico still had a sweet side. He almost always slept with us at night, and would rarely wake up at cat o'clock to do those things that most cats do - walk on your head, bat jewelry off of the dresser, play balancing games, yowl, scamper. Instead, he'd contently snuggle up behind Mike's legs, risking getting kicked in the head (Mike's a twitchy sleeper), and would only get up briefly for food before returning to bed.

Peek-a-boo cat


Of the two of us, Chico loved Mike much more. Or, at least, he was more affectionate with Mike. This really used to upset me, being a cat person and all, but I eventually came to accept that it was not my lap the cat wanted. Chico would follow Mike from room to room throughout the weekend. If Mike was in the basement, Chico perched on a step and watched. If Mike was in the dining room, Chico sat on a chair and watched. And if Mike was just finishing up in the shower, Chico would start yammering at him as soon as the water stopped running.

wackyhair2


That's not to say that Chico and I didn't have our good times. He'd sing along whenever I whistled "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer". Okay, so maybe he was really protesting and maybe I was antagonizing, and maybe I just figured out why he felt so compelled to jump on my head. Still, we had our moments - early mornings, the cat would snuggle up to my chest in-between snooze alarms. Winter evenings, Chico would wait patiently for me to get settled with knitting and a lap blanket before wedging himself in my lap. Lazy summer afternoons, Chico and I would sun ourselves on the deck. I never got the same treatment from him that he gave Mike, but I learned to love what I was given.

enough with the pictures


I hope we've done the right thing and I hope he's no longer in pain or angry or being just plain mean. He wasn't really a good cat, I'll be honest, but I loved him just the same.

sleeping beastie
Chico, April 1996 - October 2009

13 comments:

Min said...

Always know that you made the right decision and that Chico is no longer suffering or struggling.

I'm sorry that you had to make such a difficult decision.

My thoughts are with you.

NJStacie said...

What a lovely remembrance post, Heather. This totally made me cry.

My thoughts are with you and Mike - Chico will always be with you in your memories.

airing out said...

I'm so sorry. Having loved a mean dog, I understand how much it hurts to lose them.

This post is a lovely tribute.

What the hell kind of pants is mike wearing?

ironspinner said...

Great tribute, Heather. I'm sure it was a difficult decision. From one former mean cat lover to another, very sorry to hear of your loss!

Jess said...

I'm sorry Heather. Poor little buddy. I know it wasn't an easy decision. Now Chico and my Blick can run around together in kitty heaven.

bonnie said...

So sorry again Heather. I know you and Mike gave him a really good life. I am thinking of you.

Gwynne said...

Aw, what a nice blog to have fallen upon. What a lovely, honest tribute to your slightly-faulted but still-lovable kitty.

stregapez said...

Nice Stewie pants, Mike.

Heather, I'm all sniffle-y now. What a lovely tribute to a mean cat. I never met him, but he sure does look adorable in these pictures.

alke said...

I find that you love the rare moments all the more this way..
Thank you for this lovely post and I'm very sorry for your loss.

pigbook1 said...

Heather, I'm sorry, losing a pet is never easy.

Anonymous said...

I found this site using [url=http://google.com]google.com[/url] And i want to thank you for your work. You have done really very good site. Great work, great site! Thank you!

Sorry for offtopic

ExpressYourself said...

:( Sorry about your loss. <3

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!