Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Weekend getaway

When Mike asked me what I wanted for my birthday this year, I knew I could pretty much ask for anything. After all, he's going to Africa in November. And while I'm sure I'd not be unhappy with another spinning wheel or a bigger motorcycle or a freshly repainted car, I found that this year, all I wanted to do was spend time with the one I love. So, we booked a weekend at the Apple Valley Inn.

Mike met me at my library around 4pm on Friday and we drove a non-highway route to North Jersey. I'd debated renting a car because of predicted rain, but in the end, we took the Ghia on her first long-distance trip. The drive up was a little anxiety-inducing - scattered rain showers, chance of hail, rush hour traffic, and a prone-to-leaking-and-rusting vintage VW. We made it, though, and were greeted by a beautiful inn and room:

Lights at night

Cameo Room


After what seemed like an 8-course breakfast, the next day we headed out for some local sight-seeing. First up: Warwick Valley Winery. We'd stopped here on the way back from Rhinebeck last year, but stayed long enough to park the car because it was so incredibly crowded. That's what you get, I suppose, when you visit a winery/apple orchard at the height of the season. This time, though, we were there as the place opened and were joined by a Sangria Tour. The tour group had scheduled a private tasting, so we had the room to ourselves.

Selecting 6


We each tasted 6 different wines and hard ciders before ponying up and tasting a few brandies. Then, we shopped! We showed some restraint, coming away with just over a dozen bottles of wine, cider, and brandy. As we were checking out, I spied a bucket labeled BOCCE. I nudged Mike and gave him the eye, causing him to nearly drop our basket of bottled goods - the man loves him some bocce. So, we rented a bucket and headed up to the courts.

Concentration
I had an initial good showing: the score after round 1 was 4-0.

Mike's form
But my beginner's luck was no match for Mike's skill....

Round 2 of bocce
End result: 12-4 and 12-7, both to Mike.


We headed back to the inn after lunch and took naps, sat by the creek, read, and generally did absolutely nothing - it was glorious.

Bridge


Then, we headed out for a nostalgic treat: a movie at the nearby drive-in theater!

Drive-in movies
We saw The Hangover, which was much funnier than I expected.


Sunday, we had another massive breakfast and then headed back into Warwick to play a round of disc golf. I'm by far no good at the damn sport, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy it. Here I am skipping back after going way off the fairway:

Vista
Incidentally, this reminds me of the old default XP wallpaper.


Eventually, our fantastic weekend away had to end - cats needed feeding, jobs needed working, and so on. We had time to stop at a general store for lunch, feasting on some good ol' Jersey tomatoes.

Lunch at the the Pochuck Valley General Store


All in all, this was one of the best weekends away. It was nice to be there and not have a schedule and Mike and I really got to unwind. We both would love to visit the Inn again - and given that there're probably a dozen local things we didn't do this time around, we shouldn't have any problems justifying another trip!

7 comments:

SueTigger said...

Absolutely lovely! :D

stregapez said...

I love the photos, especially the first shot. I know it's Jerz, but it looks like a Southern gothic hideaway.

Maybe I've been watching too much True Blood.

Stitch Witch said...

Glad you had a nice time. My personal fav pix is the frolicing on the fairway!

Martha said...

What a fabulous week-end - good for you both!

XOXO

Jeff said...

Heathairrrrr! I dinna ken you were on bloogspoot! I dinna ken you knew about my bloog! (okay, enough exclaiming). Thank you for the birthday wishes. :o) This looks like a lovely spot to visit. Especially the winery and the general store. Could you, would you, might you, please, send me contact information? Thank you!

Jessica said...

I'd like to live in that Inn. Or maybe even the general store. Lovely.

Gwynne said...

Wow, did I mention what an amazing blog you have yet? I LOVE your photo of that inn outside at night.

I'm dying for a VW Westy that I can travel around in. I have the same issue though - gotta go home someday to feed the cats.