Wednesday, January 07, 2009

2009 First FO

I blogged earlier about making the batts and spinning the yarn, but as of late, late last night, I have a FO to share!!!

Using all but a dozen or so yards of my handspun, I made a top-down hat with horizontal ribbing. I cast on 8 stitches and increased evenly around until the hat was wide enough for my head (and hair), and at the same time, maintained a loose pattern of knit 4-6 rounds, purl 4-6 rounds. Once long enough to hit my ears, I knit the remaining rounds allowing for the inevitable stockinette curl. Here's the result:

0107091041
I've worn the hat all day today and it's suitably warm but not too itchy. It's slightly too big, but I'm planning to do a little hand-agitation when I soak the hat later. Believe it or not, this is my FIRST hat that I've made for myself! I could get used to making hats for myself!!!

2 comments:

loopykd said...

Hooray! It's beautiful! Did you knit in the round? I learned a trick recently for this kind of ribbing in the round, simply wrap and turn instead of purling. Nice huh?

Jenny Girl said...

Very cute! it looks great on you too!