A couple of weeks ago, I went down for the count with a case of bronchitis coupled with some other infection-exasperated afflictions. In addition to staying home from work for a week, I also did not a lick of spinning! Yes, that's how sick I was....
The good news is, though, I wasn't too sick to knit. And knit I did:
PhillyKnitters is doing another round of Secret Pal, and in my first package, my pal sent me some sock yarn from Spirit Trail, along with a note to finally knit some socks for myself. Of course, when I saw the yarn, I instantly thought, "These would make great socks for Mike!!!"
My pal also included the pattern (one from my Ravelry.com queue, no less!), and Mike didn't seem to be too enthusiastic about having a "girlie sock". So, I cast on for myself from the beginning. This figure-8 cast-on is my best yet and the foot worked up quickly. The heel even came out nicely, though I think the short-row eyelets are more of a happy accident and less of a pattern plan.
The cable pattern on the leg is really neat--I like the way the reverse stockinette works up in the middle of the cables. I will say that I've had some problems with my version of the pattern (don't know if it was an early version, or if I just got a misprint)--the chart is keyed wrong! I don't have it handy to explain exactly what's wrong, but had I followed the chart as keyed, my cables would have tilted in the wrong direction entirely. A couple of bottles of NyQuil and several naps later, I re-keyed the chart and everything came out beautifully.
Modifications I've made:
- A deeper heel. I think the pattern specifies short-rowing to 16 stitches, I went to 12. No reason other than I got carried away.
- The 5-stitch cable that runs up the leg (3 cn f, k2, p last st from cn, then k2 from cn) is supposed to be over 4 rows. I misread the chart* and made it over 2 rows. It's a little tighter, but I think it lends a vine-y look to the sock.
- In an effort to use up as much of the yarn as possible, I mirrored the cable pattern from the center of the largest cable and then increased 6 stitches over several rows before switching to a k3, p1 ribbing.
I'm nearly done the first sock. It's now become my part-time knitting since I'm back on the wheel. Still, I like the colorway and the yarn and every time I pick up the sock, I feel like peeping through a keyhole into a secret garden.
*The confusion stems, in part, from working from another chart that shows each row as opposed to the chart for the Keyhole Cable Sock which only shows RS rows.