Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Nobody puts Baby in the corner

By now, most of you know Bob, the overgrown fern that we inherited when some friends of ours blew this two-light town and headed west. At the end of last summer, we made the mistake of splitting Bob into 4 (or was it 6?) plants. Don't get me wrong, Bob was due for some aggressive changes, but I think we would have been better off if we'd waited until April to split him. Bob and the gang of Boblings has been looking pretty sad.

what about bob


I'm hoping that'll all change, though, since we recently moved Bob and the gang out to the front porch (I'd love to have him in the back yard but we're still waiting on the masons to finish fixing our fucking wall). Life in the back yard has typically been very, very good to Bob (ignore the wine in the foreground and focus, instead, on those voluptuous fronds).

So far, Bob's been pretty content sittin' on the porch, which is good because I kinda needed his old corner for something new:


My creation


Just like all the good things in life, I wasn't exactly looking for a Jensen spinning wheel (a Matchless, maybe)... it just sorta found me. And, I couldn't be happier! Most nights, I come home from work and while Mike works at the dining room table (60+ hour weeks are starting to wear him out), I spin a few ounces. While I'm spinning a fairly consistent and thin single now, I'm saving up to buy the high-speed kit to further improve my lace-spinning skills. Some people try to get more miles to gallon; I want more yards to the ounce.

In other spinning news, my spindle collection has exploded in the last few months. When I visited Amy and her shop back in May, I bought a couple. Then, just a few weeks ago (as in, when I picked up the wheel), I bought another spindle. Last night, I taught my neighbor to spin on a drop spindle, effectively reducing my spindle collection by one. And while 7 or 8 spindles isn't much, I have in mind at least that many for purchase. And let's not talk about the 3rd wheel (it has been found and it might just come to my house to live for free)...

In completely unrelated crafting news, I cut off all my hair. I'm sporty a sassy, fresh 'do and I can't tell you how much cutting off 10" of hair has done to improve my attitude! Besides needing the style change, though, my hair was getting hard to handle (tangles!) and dried out (tangles!) and was just generally becoming a pain in the ass (TANGLES!!!). I've yet to get a good picture of my sassy self, and ETA - apparently I don't know how to make Flickr cooperate right now...




Happy 4th to my fellow Americans! We'll be spending part of the holiday weekend cleaning the basement and the other part of the weekend celebrating my birthday. It's good to be an almost firecracker baby!

2 comments:

Jenny Girl said...

Congrats on your new spinning corner! The set-up looks nice and peaceful. Have fun and happy birthday! May all your wishes come true.

Martha said...

Heather,
The wheel & ferns look just as pretty via photos as they do in person.
And yes, your new 'do is wonderful.
Happy belated b'day.
XOXO