Thursday, October 25, 2007

Rhinebeck ramblings

I've been watching the Rhinebeck boards on Ravelry and reading the things that people will do differently next year, provided they don't, uh, pull wool over their eyes. There's not a lot I'd do differently--I made a list this year and got just about everything on it, I stayed within a free-form sort of budget (my budget was less about how much I could or couldn't spend and more "that's on my list, I bought it, so what does that bring my total spent to?" kind of thing), and I eased back into work with a day off on Monday.

Still, there are a few things I could do next year:
  • I don't need to go to the STR booth first thing. Don't get me wrong--it's lovely, lovely stuff and I enjoy being part of the tradition, but The Fold just sucks me in and threatens to clean out my wallet. It's a fiber vortex!!!
  • Do price comparisons before going to the festival. I think I got burned on one of my purchases and I vacillate between crying "The NERVE!" and accepting the price as fair enough, all things considered. This really applies more to equipment moreso than fiber.
  • Take more pictures! I only brought the camera in the second day because I didn't want to lug it around the first day. I don't feel like I missed any shots, but it might have been nice to get a few more shots in--Boogie, Ella, Anj, Jody, Christy, the Ravelry t-shirt march, the sheep that wouldn't stop bleating....
  • Be a little more social. A few people recognized me because I'd posted a picture of my squirrel tote here and on Ravelry. I remember at one point, a pair of knitters recognized me and I was a bit grumpy. I had no reason to be grumpy! Must have been a yarnover--you know, a fiber hangover?
  • Knit something in lace, like a shawl or a cardigan, to better prepare for the unpredictable weather. The forecasted highs were in the 70s for both days and both days seemed to fulfill that promise--in the sun. Shady areas were delightfully cooler. I made out nicely with my Clapotis on Saturday, and I think a cardi over a tee would be a perfect additional option.

My goals to achieve before next year:

  • Spin up the Liberty Ridge Merino and use it to knit one of the vests in Clara Parkes' book.
  • Knit at least one lace shawl OR one cardigan.
  • Abandon any Rhinebeck sweaters or shawls if I haven't started on one before August 1.
  • Knit at least 3 pairs of socks--the Jaywalkers and simple 2x2 ribbed socks are getting lonely without any other handknit socks to keep them company.

Rhinebeck is it for me--I'm pretty sure I've already got plans that take me in the complete opposite direction the weekend of Maryland Sheep and Wool--so, I've got months to prepare for next year.

No comments: