Friday, April 06, 2007

Branching Out

It only took me a year and a half, but I finished Branching Out.

branchingoutotherlength


I used The Fibre Company's Terra in the Acorn colorway (60% merino wool, 20% baby alpaca, 20% silk, 4 sts per inch on US9, 50 g - 100 yds) and I think I started with US9s but then put the whole thing on a lifeline and then picked it back up using US8s. No worries--blocking is my friend. I used about 2 1/3 skeins, which is about on par with the second yarn used in the pattern.

What I like about this pattern: it's DONE! But seriously, it does exactly what it says it will, and that's introduce the knitter to lace knitting. Since starting this way back when, my knitting skills have greatly improved. If I were to pick out a lace pattern to knit today, it probably wouldn't be this one, if only because I'd want more of a challenge. Still, lace knitting is impressive--my husband regularly checked the progress as I finished this up over the last few weeks and he was continuously amazed that all that counting, knitting, unknitting, and note-taking was producing what indeed looked like little leaves. Go me!

If/when I block this again, I might consider running waste yarn along the length so that I can pin that instead of the edges of the scarf--I admittedly was impatient and used too few needles and this left a bit of a scalloped look to the scarf. You really can only tell when it's laying flat and since I've no desire to leave this laying flat, you might not ever be able to tell.

When I started this scarf, I had an aubergine long winter coat. The yarn has flecks of a deep purple throughout and I was excited to have an interesting scarf to match the coat. Well, I lost a ton of weight (ok, really only about 40 pounds), sold the coat, and tried to find a new aubergine coat. Instead, I settled for an Anne Klein coat from Burlington Coat Factory--it's chocolate and that's a color that works well with this scarf, too! In the fall ('06), I bought a corduroy jacket in aubergine (what the fuck is it with me and aubergine?), so as the weather warms a bit, I'll be able to get some wear out of the scarf with that jacket. It's like a 3-season scarf!

Here's a shot of me wearing it RIGHT NOW:



Not the best picture, but you get the idea. This, however, is a self-portrait I'm in love with. Narcissistic much?

smiling


Speaking of the N-word, I must go make myself pretty--I'm meeting Flea (no, not THAT Flea) for drinks and nachos at 5!!!!

2 comments:

naomi said...

Very nice. (I like yours better than the one I knit.)

PURLEWE said...

very nice.. earthy and just the perfect color for you.