Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Sweaters and Spunky and bad odes.

If nothing else, I can now stop calling this sweater the top-down raglan using reclaimed Malabrigo. Instead, I'm naming it Lobel, of Frog and Toad are Friends fame--the yarn knows its way around the frog pond and, well, that's as far as I got with reasons for the name. At any rate, it works for me.

Speaking of working for me, here's the body shot:


bottom--done

The chest stripe is noticeable here and you can see that it's also on the arms (d'oh, top-down Lobel!). I *like* it, though, as I mentioned the last time.

This apparently is my new favorite pose, thee olde camera on the head shot:

body reflected

The color in this shot is a little off, but that's due more to the poor lighting and the mirror. The more observant among you may notice that the bottom is no longer bound-off. That's easy to explain--I did some kind of crazy bind off that was, at best, an attempt to have a loose edge. Instead, my attempt resulted in a non-elastic hem. After frogging the remaining original sleeve, I balled up the yarn, spit-splicing as I went and then weighed and divided that yarn for the two sleeves. Then, I ripped back the cast-off edge and put the live stitches on a gigantic stitch holder, courtesy of Denise. Once I'm done both sleeves, I'm going to bind off the hem using a larger needle (the sweater's knit on US11s, I might go up to US15s for the hem bind-off). I did the larger needle on bind-off for the first sleeve, and that did just what I wanted:



Sleeve, folded over

I haven't spent much time on Lobel since Saturday when Jody came over for a visit--I meant to knit on it some Monday night and also this morning, but Monday night I think I crashed on the couch and this morning I registered for a belly-dancing class and made a number of other phone calls that seemed to suck the life right out of me. The telephone has got to be the devil's invention... Anyway, there are a few other shots of the sweater in progress here. And, for those of you waiting for the weekly cat picture, look no fur-ther:


Chico and the Chibi

Show of hands, here, we need new projects (future UFOs, no doubt) like we need holes in our heads.... In other words, I have this skirt, see:


NL Skirt


And I need something to go with it, see:


Cilantro: Tank with peplum

So, that's where these come in handy, see:


Nashua Cilantro and NL skirt

And now, an ode:


Summer knittin', cotton-y twist,
Summer knittin', just like a wish.
Found a yarn, perfect for me
And a pattern, cute as can be
Summer knittin' it's all the rage
So long as I can gauge...

Well-a, well-a, well-a, uh!
(Tell me more, tell me more)



Nashua Cilantro in Lime Sorbet, a 70/30 cotton/acrylic. It has a matte finish and feels springy (both in weight and in texture). I pawed over this a couple of times while browsing at Tangled Web on Saturday, but it wasn't until Annie directed me to the Nashua booklet that I knew I had to have this yarn! The booklet is Nashua Vacation it has a pattern or two in it that made it easy for me to justify the expense. That, and after my last craft-room cleaning event, I found a half dozen TW frequent buyer cards: combined, I was able to get my 20% and have some holes punched in a new card. Sweet.

I'm going to make this summer sweater (it doesn't have a name outside of Cilantro Peplum; I'm going to nickname it Wicked--1. it's green, 2. it's the name of the show) with just a few modifications (it's not knittin' unless you modify it, right?): I'm adding sleeves (top down), I might do bust-shaping... I need to have this done by late July--that's when mom and I are going to see Wicked! Before I can start this little number, though, I need to finish two cross-stitch projects and the other Jaywalker. And, I have to try my best to not start any other new projects...

Oh, and did I mention that I joined the Fiber of the Month Club? Yeah... so much for not starting any new projects, RIGHT?!!

3 comments:

purlewe said...

wowowowow.

first WOWOWOW. ok that was twice.

second.. I met cat bordhi adn she says if you bind off with 2 strands of yarn instead of 1 it will be a looser bind off.

I love it though. really you. Glad you are almost done you can wear it SOON!!!

PS this is purlewe.. blogger is killing me..

naomi said...

I agree--the sweater looks great!

You might also look into doing a sewn bind-off.

Amy Boogie said...

The sweater is looking fantastic. I want to steal your green yarn. Love that color.